The Central Australian Aviation Museum
EJ Connellan was an aviation pioneer in the Northern Territory (NT). He established Alice Springs' first aerodrome on the current precinct site in 1939 and Connellan Airways (Connair) operated aircraft for the Royal Flying Doctor Service. The use of aircraft to deliver mail and supplies was a major factor in opening up the Territory.
The Central Australian Aviation Museum opened in 1977, following the tragic suicide flight into the Connair complex. On the 5th of January, a disgruntled former employee of Connellan Airways flew a Beechcraft Baron into the Alice Springs Airport, killing five people (including the pilot) and injuring four more. The disaster is one of only two aircraft suicide attacks in Australian history.
A group of locals came together to form the Central Australian Aviation Museum Inc, who sought to recognize the sacrifice made by those who lost their lives in that terrible event.
The Central Australia Aviation Museum is located in the original Connellan Airways Hangar. It houses two early Royal Flying Doctor Service planes among other historic aircraft and aviation memorabilia.