The Residency is a historic house located in the Alice Springs town centre.
The Residency holds special significance for the people of Alice Springs and Central Australia as a tangible symbol of a brief period of legislative independence from the rest of the Northern Territory. The Northern Australia Act, in force from 1926-1931, designated Central Australia as a separately governed area of the Northern Territory.
In 1926 John Charles Cawood was appointed as the inaugural Government Resident of Central Australia and work began on his official home - The Residency. At the time, the building was one of a kind, designed specifically for an arid climate. The concrete floors were laid directly onto the earth, to allow passive heating and cooling and the concrete bricks are hollow to provide insulation.
Between 1942 and 1945, after the bombing of Darwin, The Residency was home to the Administrator of the Northern Territory.
Extensive renovations were undertaken on the building for the 1963 Royal Visit. Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh stayed two nights at The Residency during their visit to Central Australia.
Today, Heritage Alice Springs Inc. manages the property in partnership with the Araluen Cultural Precinct, presenting a range of arts, social history and heritage related events and displays.
Heritage Alice Springs Inc. is a not-for-profit community initiative which aims to conserve and promote the natural and cultural heritage of Central Australia.